Cost: $125 million
Status: Complete in August 2015
- Deliver DNA barcode coverage for 0.5 million species.
- Develop the informatics platform and analytical protocols required for the development of the DNA barcode reference library.
- Establish a core facility to provide sequencing and informatics support.
Cost: $180 million
Status: June 2019
- Deliver DNA barcode coverage for 2.5 million species.
- Activate biomonitoring for one or more ecoregions in each participating nation & codify species interactions for these sites.
- Develop informatics support for high-throughput sequencing.
- Promote applications of DNA barcoding.
Planetary Biodiversity Mission
Cost: $500 million
Status: Activation in January 2026
- Complete the census of all multi-cellular species.
- Establish a global biosurveillance program.
- Construct a ‘library of life’ by preserving DNA extracts from all species.